Gateway helps students build skills for employment, working in real organisations and businesses on real tasks. Students have the opportunity to try out possible careers and build links to the workforce, to Industrial training Organisations, Tertiary Institutions, and Modern apprenticeships.
The purpose of Gateway is to enable schools to provide senior students (year 11 to year 13+ – our Class 10 – 12) with opportunities to experience structured workplace learning that:
- Has a learning programme set in the workplace
- Includes specified knowledge and skills that a student will gain through the placement and through completion of NCEA Unit Standards – towards nationally recognised qualifications – in their chosen work area(s) and in health and safety. NB. Only 8 credits can come over into SSC as 5 SSC points. They must level 3 for Class 12, and Level 2 for Class 11
- Has specified assessment methods (workplace learning).
- Involves a work placement and study which is part of the school programme and effectively fills an option line for senior students
- Includes an employer who can deliver the learning plan arranged. The school will oversee workplace learning.
- Involves a contract between the workplace, the employer and the student
- A separate programme for each student
Gateway is free for students. The TEC provides funding to meet the costs that a school incurs in arranging and managing workplace learning, including assessment.
Who should take on Gateway?
Students who are:
- Work ready
- Year 12 and 13 (Class 11 and 12)
- Motivated in a specific career direction
- Have a genuine interest in apprenticeship type training or work as their next step
- Positive and can time manage
- And who have a strong work ethic.
Parents who have contacts in the business world are encouraged to get in touch with our Gateway Co-ordinator, Ken, if they can arrange or offer good placements for students.
We have warmly appreciated the support local companies and institutions have shown this year in hosting our students.
Alternative Course and Gateway Co-ordinator
(04) 569 5161 ext. 215